Many of us are dreaming of the day we can travel again. For some of us, being on lockdown has only increased our desire to travel once things return to a manageable level.
Thanks to technology there are ways we can take virtual vacations, all from the comfort of our armchair. And the best part? You don’t need to stand in any line.
Of course, there is nothing like preparing to travel in person to your dream destination and arriving there, bursting with excitement and wonder, and ready to explore the various sites.
Virtual vacations provide an opportunity for you to watch inspiring videos, or take virtual tours of arts, cultural institutions and famous sites.
Keep these tips in mind, during your virtual vacation:
- To navigate between adjoining rooms in the tours, click on the arrow links on the floor.
- You can use the camera icon to see particular objects or the exhibit panel at closer range.
- Try zooming because some of the images might be stitched together from individual pictures in order to create high resolution images.
Ready to take off? With just a few clicks, you’ll be off to new sites! Enjoy your travels! ??
1. London Natural History Museum, London, England
London’s Natural History Museum’s vast collection has long been a favourite of both Londoners and tourists. It’s got dinosaurs, butterflies, insects, specimens in jars, and so much more. Get lost in the corridors and gallery spaces.
2. The Louvre, Paris, France
The Louvre’s virtual tours showcase its Petite Gallerie, a space dedicated to art and cultural education where you can discover ‘The Advent of the Artist’ including artworks from Delacroix, Rembrandt and Tintoretto.
3. Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, Canada - You can explore this famous Toronto attraction from the comfort of your home, without making the 41/2 hour drive. Through the power of Google Streetview, enter directly inside the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and virtually wander through several exhibits.
4. Angkor-Wat in Cambodia - Explore Angkor Wat in Cambodia and a handful of the surrounding temples without breaking a sweat.
5. Machu Picchu in Peru - Wander around Machu Picchu while sipping your favourite drink, feet up.
6. Great Wall of China - Walk along The Great Wall Of China, without breaking a sweat.